Jury Service Information
If you have been summoned to serve as a juror in the Canton Municipal Court, this information will supplement the documents you received with your notification.
Please note that you are to report to the Court, located in Canton City Hall (not the Stark County Court House) Canton, Ohio, for a one-week period, beginning on the date noted on your summons. Be advised you are not required to report as a juror every day of your one-week service; however, you are required to serve as a juror any day or days your services are needed.
To find out if you are needed, refer to the online Juror List, or call (330)471-8861 to hear a recorded message of the list. All jurors (except those previously excused) are required to check the list, which will designate what juror numbers are to report for jury duty the next morning. Therefore, it is very important you check the list after 5:00 p.m. the evening before your start date and each evening thereafter for the rest of your service week. Only report for jury duty if your number is on the list.
Parking is free for jurors in the New Market Garage located on Market Avenue South. Please bring ticket with you for validation.
After your jury service has ended, you will receive a check, paying you $10.00 for each day you appeared in court. Allow ten days for the check to be mailed.
On May 18, 2005, Senate Bill 71 became effective and revised all previous exemptions to jury duty. Only a trial judge can excuse a potential juror for one of the following statutory reasons listed below:
- Juror is 75 years of age or older and requests to be excused.
- Recent death of the juror's spouse or the recent death or dangerous illness of a near relative of the juror or the juror's spouse. (Medical documentation required)
- The juror is a member of a cloistered religious organization.
- The juror has a mental or physical condition that renders the juror incapable of performing jury duty. (Medical documentation required)
- Jury Duty would cause undue or extreme physical or financial hardship to the juror or those under the care and/or supervision of the juror (Juror must submit supporting documentation for determination by judge)
- The juror is no longer resident within the courts jurisdiction. (Juror must submit supporting documentation)
- Juror has served on jury duty with the court within the past two (2) years.
Should you require additional information regarding the jury process after reading this information and the information provided with the summons and jury information sheet mailed to you, please call (330)489-3213. Leave a message (include your phone number, jury number and beginning date), and the Jury Office will call you back within a day or two.
Thank you, we appreciate your cooperation regarding jury duty service.